Marcus received his BBA from Texas A&M University. He received his JD from Boston College Law School and has an LLM in Health Law from the University of Houston Law Center. Marcus began his legal career in the Chief Counsel’s Office of the United States Food and Drug Administration prosecuting pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers for violations of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.
Marcus has served as an adjunct professor teaching the Food and Drug Law Course at the University of Houston. Marcus practices in the area of health law, food and drug law, and personal injury litigation (including product liability, pharmaceutical, and medical device litigation).
Marcus has been actively involved in protecting consumers in several mass torts including serving on several committees in litigation related to MDL 1657 Vioxx, MDL 1699 Celebrex and Bextra, and MDL 1789 Fosamax. Marcus served as a member of the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee for MDL 1905 In Re: Medtronic Sprint Fidelis Leads.
He maintains an active trial docket and has first-chaired a number of jury trials. Mr. Stevenson is a frequent speaker at continuing legal education courses across the country and is a member of the American Association for Justice, Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Houston Trial Lawyers Association, and Houston Lawyers Association. Mr. Stevenson has been named as a Texas Super Lawyer for 2007, 2008 and 2009. Marcus is the former Chair of AAJ’s Minority Caucus and its Diversity Committee.
Marcus is married to Leah Matthews, MD and they have two sons, Bryce and Zane. Marcus remains active in civic, service and social organizations. He runs marathons and is a certified scuba diver. He is active in BSA Sam Houston Area Council Troop 500 and has attended several scout camps, high adventure camps, Wood Badge and Powder Horn.
Areas of Practice
- Food and Drug Law
- Health Law
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Pharmaceutical Litigation
- Products Liability
- 85% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Texas, 1995
- Boston College Law School, Newton, Massachusetts
- J.D. – 1995
- University of Houston Law Center, Houston, Texas
- LLM (Health) – 1998
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- B.B.A. (Marketing) – 1992
- Regulating Reproductive Technology: Human Cloning, Journal of Medicine and Law, 2, 1999
- Good Gene Hunting, The Journal of Biolaw & Business, Winter, 1999
- Adjunct Professor, Food and Drug Law Course, University of Houston, 2000 – 2002
- FDA and FOIA: Where You Get the Facts Before You File, American Association for Justice, 2010
- David v. Goliath: Winning Against the FDA Defense, American Association for Justice, February 15, 2008
- Anti-epilepsy Drugs Contribute to Suicidality, American Association for Justice, July 28, 2009
- Effectively Using Discovery Tools to Build Your Liability Case, American Association for Justice – Minority Caucus, July 28, 2009
- Mining the FDA: Discovering Valuable Gems, American Assocatiion for Justice, 2008
- Where’s My Genie in a Bottle? Investigating Experts What’s Out There and Where to Find It, American Association for Justice – Paralegal Taskforce, 2007
- FDA’s Preemption Position: Consumer Protection?, American Association for Justice, 2007
- Vioxx Litigation Update, American Association for Justice, 2005
- Emerging Litigation – Fosamax, Harris Martin, 2007
- Vioxx Trial Summary, Consumer Attorneys of California, 2005
- Vioxx Trial Summary, Kansas Trial Lawyers Association, 2005
- Everything I Learned about My Expert the Defense Counsel Taught Me, Texas Trial Lawyers Association – Advanced Personal Injury, 2004
- Voir Dire and the Law, Texas Trial Lawyers Association, 2004
- Understanding Physician Employment Contracts, UT Houston Health Science Center, 1999 – 2004, 2011-14
Honors and Awards
- Texas Super Lawyer, 2007 – 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Plaintiff’s Steering Committee for MDL 1905 In Re: Medtronic Sprint Fidelis Leads, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Houston Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.